Your child's reading will need...
Word and Sentence Skills
- Use words they already know to guess the meaning of new words.
- Understands that the way sentences are written give meaning.
- Reads aloud with intonation/feeling, using punctuation to help.
- Breaks up, and puts together parts of words to help say them.
- Reads common words easily.
- Breaks new words down to help say them.
Finding and Using Information Skills
- Uses skimming and scanning skills to summarise.
- Discusses writing to make predictions and opinions.
- Discusses the main written points and events, with examples.
- Knows the main features of fiction and non-fiction texts.
- Makes questions about what they are about to read.
- Answers direct questions about characters and storylines.
Understanding and Predicting Skills
- Discusses how an author uses moods, feelings and attitudes.
- Recognises obvious and hidden opinions.
- Knows which words help to create moods and build tension.
- Gives examples of why characters say, do and think things.
- Makes sensible guesses of what happens next.
- Makes simple assumptions about character thoughts and feelings.
- With help, guesses why characters behave in certain ways.
Book Structure and Organisation Skills
- Recognises technical words in information books, for meaning.
- Understands how paragraphs link written ideas together.
- Can use information books efficiently.
- Discusses how different styles/genres of writing are recognised.
- Understands how paragraphs are used to order and build up ideas.
- Can use a dictionary, thesaurus and information book sensibly.
- Discusses how stories are written and organised.
- Discusses differences between fiction and non-fiction books.
'Understanding an Author' Skills
- Finds words an author has used for moods, feelings and attitudes.
- Finds and discusses words which show how characters are feeling.
- Finds and discusses words with hidden or deeper meaning.
- Finds and discusses words which add description.
- Finds words which have an affect on written meaning.
- Shares ideas on author’s opinion by what they have written.
- Discusses which authors they like to read and why.
- Suggest other authors and kinds of writing they would enjoy.
- Choose and talk about a favourite book.